Sunday 1 May 2016

Beltane Rite

Blessed Beltane.

As promised here is a breakdown of how I celebrated the holiday.
I had work all of May Day, so all of my ritual was performed on Beltane Eve.

Firstly I collected my supplies;

And I began to set my ritual space.
Due to not owning our own house yet, I could not have a full Beltane Bonfire! (One day...One day...)
So, I gathered a collection of candles in a circle, to represent the fires of Beltane.
Fire is a huge part of this rite, as is the Sun God.
The fires of Beltane are said to hold healing, magical properties. For thousands of years, people have jumped the bonfire flames, to rid themselves of illness, to receive mental clarity, or simply to make a wish.

Light all but one candles, and set your incense going.
Cast your circle.


Meditate a little, and ground yourself here.
A common tradition for those not living in towns with pagan traditions is to make their own mini maypole.
The maypole represents the union of the Lord and Lady of the Greenwood, and dancers take ribbons and dance around the pole intertwining them around the pole.

To make my own, I set out this morning with the sun beaming down on me, to the nearby woodland, and collected an appropriate size stick.
Then coming home I collected my ribbons.
Now in this sacred space I've made, I set about wrapping these ribbons around my chosen stick. My mind truly focused on the task, the braiding of the ribbons a therapeutic rhythm.






With this completed, I can set my maypole aside.
Now rise.
And dance in my circle. If you decide to do this ritual; Don't feel silly, or embarrassed, just dance freely. Put on music if you have to, or if you're outside, sense the rhythm of the earth.
Dance for as long as you feel comfortable, and smile while you do so.

Sitting back at my candles, I began to chant.

" I dance delight
On Beltanes Night.
All senses freeing,
I dance for being.
Sun, embrace the earth, Bright
I ask you with this Rite."
I light my one remaining candle in the name of the Sun God, and drink from a chalice of Wine in the name of the Goddess.

And to close my rite, I jumped my candle DIY bonfire, and made a wish!

 *************

Something like this could easily be tailored to your own Beltane celebration.

Enjoy.
Much Love,
Jade
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment