Saturday 23 August 2014

I visited a secret world where magic happens...

Hello dear readers.
 
Saturday daytime I went to heaven.
Matt did the hour drive into Somerset, so I could go to an open day at Secret World Wildlife Rehabilitation Sanctuary.
 
What a beautiful, beautiful day!
 
We took a bag of dog and cat food for donations, and I slipped a note into their bucket, after parking up in the field.
I really admire what these wildlife places do. And they need all the help they can get, so if you feel like donating, visit their website here;
 
 
Or find a local wildlife centre near you, and take them up some food, or old towels. They'll really appreciate it. 
This place saves injured or dyeing wildlife and either releases them back into the wild if possible, or gives them a forever place at the sanctuary.
It is my dream career, and it is truly astounding the work and care that goes into this job!
 
So, we got into this wonderful courtyard full of people...and as I was looking for directional sign posts, Matt pointed out that the volunteers in the courtyard all had birds of prey attached to their arms.
How had I missed that?
Out came the camera, and I got some quick shots, of these regal beasts.
 


 
 
Dotted around were these yellow, portable incubators. Inside were babies. Oh how I adore this type of baby. Ducklings, fledglings and even a curled up baby squirrel.
 
 
 
There was also an area, all about the cull and badger prejudice.
If you went through an old barn door, you could see through a glass pane into the badger sets.
Obviously being the day, the badgers were all there curled up, having a snooze.
They were really close to the glass, and despite it being too dark for a picture, you'll just have to trust me that they were stunning.
Wandering around towards the hedgehog enclosures, I could barely contain my enthusiasm as to how brilliant the enclosures for everything were. As natural as possible, safe and HUGE!
So in a little tent, I picked up handfuls (yes handfuls) of leaflets on how to make your garden and lifestyle hedgehog friendly.
We were just in time for the hedgehog talk.
Everyone listened, anticipating the arrival of the little beauties.
They did not disappoint.
Little noses wiggling, and alert eyes shining in the sun.
They only had a few more weeks at the facility, before they were going back to the wild.

 
 
Gardens galore led us to the fox enclosures...but sadly they must have all taken to ground as we saw no red fur today.
 Looking into a large fenced off area, with a pond, and lots of ducks, geese, and peacocks...I finally found a gorgeous red deer. I'd been waiting for her.
She did not want to stay still mind, more interested in the food coming her way than in us.
She was a lot bigger than I expected the deer there to be.
 
 
I adore deer.
I've been feeling super connected to them recently.
Imagery of them is everywhere I look, and something about them has taken root in my heart.
 
Matt got some chips from a vendor in the field, and then we headed into the gift shop.
 
 
Where I obviously could not resist an adoption pack.
I choose the otter....
Mainly because the otter toy was the cutest ;)
 

 
 
What a glorious day!

And now I'm sat with my candles burning, the sun streaming upon my face through the window, and the Parlour is just about to begin.
Learning a new tarot spread today.

Life is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment