Friday 15 August 2014

The Vegan Kind - Box #10


My The Vegan Kind Monthly Subscription box arrived last week, and it was a good 'un!

TVK, is a wonderful service for the UK, and Europe that you can sign up to for £13 a month, and they'll send you a surprise box of vegan goodies.
Find out more about it here;
 
 
This months box was amazing! I opened it as soon as I picked it up from the post office. As soon as I saw the first item on the top of the box I squealed, causing quite a few stares.
 
The first item was...dun dun dun...
 

Strawberry Flavoured Freedom Mallows.
 
Now.
I haven't had marshmallows for 12 frickin' years!
It's just not something you could buy as a vegetarian where I lived. When I saw the introduction of 'freedom mallows' to the UK, I was more than excited. But still I could not get my hands on them easily or cheaply...so to see them sitting on the top of my box, blew my tiny mind.
 
^^As you can see, they didn't even make it home. I plonked myself down in a park, and enjoyed them with my soy chai latte.
The texture was not exactly as I remembered marshmallows, but it was a good attempt. They were packed with that strawberry flavour but remained not too sickly sweet.
Definatley a brilliant snack I would have again and again.
 
'Nothing But - mange tout and red pepper snack.
 
These freeze dried pieces of veg in a bag, had me kind-of intrigued. They did not look appetizing, but I gave them a shot. Taste wise they weren't bad, a bit like watered down mange tout and pepper. The idea of them for a healthy snack is clever, but something just wasn't working....maybe it was the texture. They were very dry.
A friend of mine who also got this box, suggested dipping them in hummus, as she said it made them not just edible but enjoyable.
So, these weren't bad when jazzed up with a side of dip, but not something I would go out and buy through choice.
 
'Pulsin' Vanilla choc chop protein snack.
 
This is the only thing from my box I haven't actually eaten yet - I'm waiting until I need an energy boost.
But let me tell you this...protein bars and I do not get on.
I hate dates.
But...that being said, the sound of this bar excites me. I might have found a vegan  power bar I'm going to enjoy.
 
'LivingNaturally' -Soapnut Powder Laundry Tabs.
 
The main part of the box (RRP being a whopping £6+) was a HUGE bag of laundry tabs.
They're straight in the drum tabs, enough for 20 washes.
I used them the day after they arrived, just to see how good they were.
I put them to the ultimate test.
Washing mine and my partners work uniforms, which get pretty darn grubby!
The packet suggested using two tabs for really soiled loads, so I did.
And they did a good job - not anything miraculous, but not any worse than my Co-Op branded washing purchases.
The smell was pleasant and the clothes were clean.
So thumbs up from me.
 
'Propercorn' Sweet and Salty Popcorn.
 I don't have much to say about this. Scrummy popcorn, nice taste and texture.
Just popcorn.
:)
 PLUS! The bonus gift of a 'Fuelled by Compassion' wristband. Which I haven't taken off yet.
 
A truly superb box! I cannot wait for next months box. It's like a reward for being vegan, and saving lives. 
 

___________________________________________

On an additional note here is a booktube video I recently uploaded on charity shop finds.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Still have to try the washing tabs (yes I know I've had the box for a week but I really don't like laundry) but definitely agree with everything else.
    I thought I'd put your mind at ease about the Pulsin bar too... I also don't like dates, but this was really yummy, chocolaty, nutty and vanilla-y, not date-y

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually eaten it now haha, and yes it was really nice, Slightly weird texture I found but it was lovely. xx

      Delete